Friday 29 February 2008

soup di loop

Pip of Meet Me at Mikes has put out a call for soup recipes and I am up for the challenge! I am a major fan of soup when it comes to cooking - one pot wonders that taste even better as leftovers and freeze with ease - and yet I never order it when eating out. Maybe because I know I can cook it easily at home? Except the amazing soups at Bo De Trai, including the full moon special, "beep soup". It's really fake beef and noodle soup, but their sign has an unfortunate misspelling.

My soupy contribution for the evening is (drumroll....)

Indian Spinach soup
Start by frying up the spices: A teaspoon of mustard seeds, your desired strength of chilli, a tablespoon of fesh ginger ginger and 2 bay leaves. I also use asoefetida powder but just as a substitute for onion, which I guess you are more likely to have in the cupboard.
Next add the spinach: one packet of frozen or bunch of fresh. Cook for a couple of minutes until the spinach has wilted.
Add a paste of one tablespoon of flour mixed with a cup of cold water, then quickly add a can of coconut milk. Stir until it comes close to boiling then simmer for ten minutes.
Add salt to taste and you're done!

While I'm on the topic of cooking, I guess I may as well show you some dessert too.

It's just apricots and a dob of thick custard on little squares of puff pastry. Nothing special but very easy to make, good for little snacks and I like the way they looked all lined up on the tray.

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Great soup recipe!!! I have heaps of spinich in my garden at the moment and have been looking for something new to try, THANKYOU!!
What a great idea for desert... Super quick and easy, I love it.

Jodie