Tuesday 21 October 2008

this is ... my favourite film

I am finally going to make the effort to get back into the "this is" meme. I have extended my vacation for far too long!

I could not possibly choose just one film as my favourite. I'm afraid the best I can do is to narrow it down to a shortish list of favourite directors/creative teams:
* David Lynch (Eraserhead; Blue Velvet; Twin Peaks (the tv series); Wild at Heart; Lost Highway; Mullholland Drive)
* Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands; Ed Wood; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; Sweeney Todd)
* Jeunet and Carot (Delicatessen; City of the Lost Children; Amelie)
* the Coen brothers (Raising Arizona; Barton Fink; Fargo)
* Peter Greenaway (The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover; The Baby of Macon)
* Alfred Hitchcock (Rear Window; Vertigo; Psycho; Marnie)

Hmmm. Looking at that list, all of my favourite directors have a fairly dark and distinctive vision, and their films are aesthetically beautiful. The mise-en-scene is much more important to me than the plot! In the spirit of which, I shall choose one film that is especially beautiful:
Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love.


Love, love, love the wallpaper! And the frocks. And the food. The soundtrack's not bad, either!

No comments: