Thursday, 27 December 2007

the bag that spoke

Now that Christmas is over (phew!) I can share the story of a bag that became a gift. It all started when we clamp-dyed some wool at TAFE using eucalyptus leaves.



"How beautiful," I thought. "I'm sure I could do something with this technique." So I went looking for some wool fabric to use but none was to be found. Not to be deterred, I decided to try it on a cotton bag instead.

But of course the cotton didn't take the dye quite so well and the bark I had used as a clamp spread some of its colour, so I ended up with a bag that just looked dirty.



Again I refused to be discouraged, and instead saw it as an opportunity to try out some new stitches from the Mountmellick embroidery book that has been sitting unused on my shelf for close to a year.



Finally the design was starting to take form, but it wasn't until I came across this Japanese fabric - perfect for the lining - that I knew that the bag would be completed and used.



And here it is!

1 comment: