Sunday 29 March 2009

free knitted newborn beehive hat pattern


I made this hat for my daughter while I was in hospital after her birth, using her head as a guide. She is on the smallish side - weighing just under 3kg. It is a very quick and easy knit - great as a last minute project.

materials
small amount DK/8 ply yarn
US size 4 (3.5mm) straight needles
stitch holder
darning needle

hat front
CO 34 stitches
row 1: P
row 2: K
row 3: P
rows 4-9: repeat rows 1-3 two more times
row 10: P
row 11: K
repeat rows 10-11 until you have 27 rows of straight stitch
cut yarn and transfer to a stitch holder

hat back
as per front

finishing
With right sides together, use three needle bind-off technique to attach the hat front and back at the top.
Sew sides together.
Place atop the head of the nearest new baby!

3 comments:

Marigold said...

very cute! do you think it would work knitting in the round?

'marigo' from ravelry

mum2five said...

Great pattern, as a beginner knitter this is my first project that I'm going to "gift".
Thank you so much for sharing!

toni.boots said...

thanks for the pattern. I am making a newborn photography set and will be posting it to my blog. I will be sure to link back to your pattern.